Cost & Travel
How Much Does it Cost to Attend Social Change Institute?
There are two cost components you want to consider when planning your trip to Social Change Institute at Hollyhock:
- Tuition (this is your conference fee which is set at $495 plus tax)
- Accommodation (this covers your room, meals and day-use fee at Hollyhock, the cost varies depending on your room type.)
Your total cost to attend Social Change Institute at Hollyhock will depend on your choice of accommodation at Hollyhock (with private, shared, dorm and tent options) combines with your conference tuition. We’ve listed the most popular accommodation options, below.
Totals listed below are per night and include taxes and fees:
- Single with private bath (approx $338 to $372 per night)
- Single with shared bath (approx $265 to $282 per night)
- Shared room with one other person (approx $217 to $251 per night)
- Dorm with 4 to 6 per room (approx $146 per night)
- Tent site (approx $123 per night)
Accommodation packages range from camping to private rooms. All packages include: three healthy, organic vegetarian meals daily with weekly wild seafood dinners and beachside oyster barbecues, naturalist guided walks through a spectacular temperate rain forest, relaxing and rejuvenating morning movement or yoga and meditation class, unlimited access to the outdoor hot tub, library and beverage/toast bar with juices, teas and coffee. During your stay, make sure you take a walk along the beachfront or the bio diverse forest trails and breathe in the fresh air and beauty of the restorative garden. For an additional charge, you can book a bodywork session, rent kayaks, or take part in a scheduled kayaking or sailing adventure.
Your Deposit and Cancellation Policy
In order to secure your spot at Social Change Institute, Hollyhock collects a $395 deposit that is put toward your total costs. Your deposit is non-refundable. If you cancel 7 or more days prior to your planned arrival date, a $50 cancellation fee will be applied and the remainder of your deposit will be treated as a Hollyhock credit toward a future registration booked within 365 days of the original program you booked. If you cancel within 7 days of your planned arrival date, you will not receive back the total balance of your deposit. We appreciate you taking the time to consider our cancellation policy before committing your deposit and securing your spot at Hollyhock’s Social Change Institute.
For guests staying offsite, there is an mandatory all inclusive meal and day use fee of $101.70 per day (this includes tax, access to Hollyhock amenities and 3 meals a day).
Hollyhock is nestled between the forest and ocean on the south eastern tip of Cortes Island, British Columbia, about 160 kilometres (100 miles) north of Vancouver.
Getting to and from Cortes Island is now easier than ever.
1. Carpool to Hollyhock. This is a self-organized method of travel for SCI participants who are looking to keep their costs down, carbon footprint low, and a beautiful way to travel along British Columbia’s West Coast. Everyone registered for Social Change Institute will be invited to access the Carpool Google Doc.
2. Floatplane direct to Cortes Island from downtown Vancouver (Corilair) or YVR Airport (Vancity Seaplanes)
3. Airplane from YVR South Terminal (Pacific Coastal) or Main Terminal (Central Mountain Air) to Campbell River, BC and then a Water Taxi to Manson’s Landing, Cortes Island (Discovery Launch)*Tip: Inquire about a shared water taxi and book your flight accordingly.
4. Driving to Campbell River and take a BC Ferry to Quadra Island and then a BC Ferry from Quadra to Cortes Island.
5. Additional travel tips are on the Hollyhock website.